Giant Pumpkin Growing Information
Instructions for people who want to grow 500lbs pumpkins with a
By Bill Foss
- Site; select a sunny area or one with
very little shade that is about 20x20 for each plant. Add
a garden fertilizer (10-10-10) or compost and till.
- Planting; plant seeds outdoors when
the soil has warmed up (around May 20 in zone 4 or several
days after average frost date). Lay the seed(s) flat about
an inch deep and cover with semi moist soil.)
- Protection; if your patch is in the
open it is important to provide wind protection for the
seedlings. Something a foot high on all four sides for several
weeks. Once the vines start to grow take your shovel and
put soil over the top of the vines to hold them down.
- Pollination; will begin in July and
we will let the bees do the work.
- Pumpkin selection; the fewer the pumpkins
on the plant the bigger they will grow. Let three pumpkins
start growing and then select the one that is most perpendicular
to the vine and remove the other two. Keep removing all
- Pruning; the vines will grow 40 to 50
ft so you need to prune them by just pinching off the end
when they reach the edge of your patch.
- Pumpkin care; this is a very important
step to eliminate broken stems by allowing the vine to move
as the pumpkin grows. On both sides of the pumpkin stem
where it attaches to the vine, cut the roots under the vine
at the leaf nodes for several feet.
- Basic gardening; water regularly, keep
weeds at a minimum and watch for pest and other problems.
- Harvest: expect to harvest the pumpkin
in October. A pumpkin plant will reach maturity in around
- Good Luck and support. I wish you good
luck, if you want to ask me any questions, I'm in the phone
this document in Word format.
Want more detailed instructions?